What is the issue?
While every sector needs to protect and promote mental health in the workplace, doing so in health-care settings is more challenging. According to research by Casselman (2013), health-care workers are one and a half times more likely to be off work due to illness or disability than all others.1
Not only is protecting and promoting psychological health and safety in your health-care workplace the right thing to do, it can
- lower health-care costs
- decrease absenteeism and turnover
- reduce medical errors
- increase patient satisfaction
- enhance your organization’s reputation
- boost productivity
- improve morale and relationships.
The National Standard for Psychological Health and Safety in the Workplace, recognized as a leading practice by the Health Standards Organization, describes 13 factors that contribute to (or threaten) psychological health and safety in Canada’s workplaces.
But given the unique psychological risks and opportunities facing health-care organizations, the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC) and HealthCareCAN have developed two additional factors relevant to that sector:
- Protection from moral distress: A health-care work environment where staff are able to do their work with a sense of integrity while being supported by their profession, employer, and peers.
- Support for psychological self-care: A health-care workplace where staff are encouraged to care for their own psychological health and safety.
 Casselman, Nancy. (2013, June 18). Wellness metrics in action [Panel presentation]. Conference Board of Canada Workplace Wellness and Mental Health 2013 Conference, Toronto, Canada.
What are we doing?
Below are more psychological health and safety resources developed by the MHCC, HealthCareCAN, and other health organizations across Canada.
Declaration of Commitment to Psychological Health and Safety in Healthcare
Caring for Healthcare
Caring for Healthcare Workers
Transforming Healthcare Organizations
|Join the Movement: Advancing Psychological Health and Safety in Healthcare Settings
A video about what’s at stake and why an organizational commitment to psychological health and safety in health-care settings is crucial.